What to do when you can’t sleep

What to do when you can’t sleep

By Daniel Kolenda   /     Jan 12, 2012  /     Articles  /

David says in Psalm 63:5, 6, “…My mouth shall praise You with joyful lips when I remember You upon my bed and meditate on You in the night watches.”

The ancients had divided the hours of the night into “watches”; for the Jews there were three of them.

The dark, still hours of the early morning are when unsettling thoughts emerge from the shadows and dormant fears awake to trouble the mind.  Sleeplessness is a lonely affliction.  Fear is a merciless foe.  A weary mind that will not rest drains vigor out of the body, soul and spirit.

This Psalm was written when David was hiding in the wilderness of Judah.  He had been betrayed by many of his closest friends – including his own beloved son, Absalom, who was now plotting to seize the throne for himself.  Oh the worry, the heartbreak and pain that must have consumed David’s mind.

But David had a secret.  He transformed those worrisome watches into worshipful watches and found his mouth filled with praise and his heart filled with joy as he remembered the goodness of the LORD.  Rather than meditating on his troubles, worries and fears  he decided to meditate on God in those sleepless watches of the night.

David decided not to feed his fear with worry, but to feed his faith with worship!  That’s what you should do the next time you cant sleep.

Evangelist Shahzad Says: January 31, 2015 5:18 pm

this is very blessful verse i have been using it from my childhood.

Stay bless

Milad Says: July 15, 2012 10:13 am

wow thanks for this study god blesses

OBINNA HENRY EKERE Says: January 27, 2012 11:10 am

Sir You can say it AGIAN AND AGAIN. AMEN

Mica-El Mumba Says: January 19, 2012 9:05 am

That’s really beautiful. This echoes Psalm 46:10 “Be still and know that I am God” I praise God for your life.

Lois Willeford Says: January 14, 2012 12:23 am

Amen..Lately I wake up at 2 and 3 am and I am afraid I do not speak and yet I know I should pray I cant. What do you do when you are woken up at that hour do you get on your knees and wait on God. I am afraid to ask God or seek Him so I miss the opportunity.

Marie Says: January 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Are you in Germany right now? I would love to hear you preach. I am living in Rhineland-Palatinate, in the west of Germany.

Obieze Nwachukwu Says: January 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Worship rather than worry. This is insightful

Dada Kehinde James Says: January 12, 2012 5:34 pm

Thank you Evangelist.God bless you.

Josh B Says: January 12, 2012 5:07 pm

My wife and I had our first baby this year. There have been many long nights and tired days. But those moments I have had praying in the rocking chair, holding my son, have been wonderful. I have gained new revelation of the Father’s love for me. Thank you for this article and your ministry. Blessings.

sunshine Says: January 12, 2012 4:03 pm

thank you so much pastor…God bless you abundantly

Amy Nico Says: January 12, 2012 2:51 pm

Amen. Thank you for sharing. Very encouraging.

Jeremiah Thomson Beraya Says: January 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Amen !
    I pray that I will not to feed my fear with worry, but to my faith with worship every night so that I don’t have to worry about tomorrow.